Principal Advisor, Project Governance
Salary Competitive salary
Consultant Vaite Villouta Sandoval
Date posted 1 October 201822 Fanshawe Street Auckland 1010 Robert Walters New Zealand
The Wellington City Council serves the residents and businesses of the city of Wellington. To ensure we meet their needs we consult and engage with them on a regular basis and develop our vision and long-term plans to meet those needs. Our vision for the city: Wellington Towards 2040: Smart Capital
The Principal Advisor role is a leadership role within the Legal and Risk business unit that is responsible for the capital project governance framework at Wellington City Council.This role is responsible for the development, implementation and management of the governance model, ensuring all capital projects are governed, managed and reported against a clear framework.
The role will also provide advice and support to business units to enhance the Council’s capability to manage and govern projects, ensuring Council has best practice project governance.
As the Principal Advisor you will work with the governance group and executives on how we can broaden the scope and integrate the management of capital projects into our long-term planning process.
- Oversee the development, execution and management of the capital project governance framework across Council
- Formulate and deliver Project Governance Policy for whole of Council
- Work collaboratively with the risk team to ensure risks are properly managed
- Identify measures or indicators of performance and the actions needed to enhance performance.
- Report test results to the ELT and prepare reports summarising results and accomplishments of objectives and plans.
- Work with project managers to design and implement improvements.
- Consider and make recommendations on Project Governance.
- Assess the maturity of the organisation against best practice, communicate the outcome, and develop a pathway towards best practice.
- Provide expert advice and information keeping current with best practice
- Educate and advocate across senior management so that Project Governance initiatives have buy-in and are understood
- Work closely with stakeholders to ensure a pan-Council view of delivery is maintained and that all relevant stakeholders are kept up to date in relation to relevant risks
- Manage the development and delivery of Project Governance training and awareness programmes.
- Show leadership in supporting team to achieve the vision and objectives of the team, Directorate and organisation.
- Experience and success in supporting a similar work programme
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in enhancing project management - Good understanding of PMO frameworks, including governance and reporting
- Proven ability to drive projects in a complex environment using appropriate project planning processes and techniques
- In-depth knowledge of project management, business analysis, testing and process improvement practices and disciplines
- Practical experience in driving change through an organisation and proven at leading teams successfully through change
- Ability to build ‘trusted-partner' relationships, persuade and influence key stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, including preparation and delivery of business cases / papers for senior stakeholder audiences
- Ability to develop quality project, finance and performance reporting for senior management
- Ability to facilitate groups generating appropriate discussion, and outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to perform in a high performing team
This is a great opportunity to work across the whole Wellington City Council and be responsible for developing, implementing and managing governance models. Develop your already impressive skills in this new and exciting role.
Robert Walters endeavours to review all applications in a maximum of five working days. If you have not received correspondence within this timeframe please do not hesitate to contact Vaite Villouta Sandoval on 04 471 9733.