Recruitment consultants are responsible for assisting businesses to fill vacancies. This often includes advertising and using their networks to source suitable candidates, screening and interviewing applicants and negotiating between employers and jobseekers.
Recruitment consultants often work as part of an agency to assist other businesses with their recruitment needs however some large organisations have their own in-house recruitment teams.
People with an aptitude for sales and an interest building relationships and helping people may be suited to a career in recruitment.
What does a recruitment consultant do?
On any day a recruitment consultant is likely to carry out the following tasks:
- Business development to secure new clients and roles
- Building and maintaining relationships with clients and candidates
- Working towards sales targets and key performance indicators such as number of calls to clients and candidates
- Advertising vacancies via job boards, social media and print
- Headhunting and approaching suitable candidates who may not be currently job seeking
- Performing database searches to find candidates
- Reviewing job applications and phone screening candidates and creating shortlists
- Conducting candidate interviews and reference checks
- Preparing candidate resumes for employers to review
- Providing advice to employers and jobseekers
What qualifications do I need?
No formal qualifications are required however a qualification in business or human resources is beneficial as is a background in the market sector you would like to recruit for. Sales, marketing and customer service experience is also well regarded.
What skills do I need?
Recruitment is a fast paced and high pressure environment, to succeed you will need to be ambitious and driven. Recruitment consultants also need excellent interpersonal skills and are required to be confident in order to contact perspective clients and win their business. You will be required to meet tight deadlines and sales targets so the ability to prioritise and multitask is also a must.
If you're considering a career as a recruitment consultant and want to find out more, then get in touch with us. We have a dedicted careers site filled with case studies and key information about working for Robert Walters. Visit our careers site here.