Senior Ruby on Rails Developer
Salary $100000 - $120000 per annum + Negotiable
Consultant Yvonne Tay-Corbett
Date posted 10 April 2017
International Volunteer HQ is the world’s leading volunteer travel organisation. Their programs send volunteers to over 30 different destinations globally, and the platforms you will be building support their ability to build better futures for generations to come. In the near future, as a Senior Ruby on Rails Developer, will be doing a lot of research and development into new tech areas like Machine Learning, Localisation and Marketing Automation.
International Volunteer HQ is a successful volunteer travel organisation started by Dan Radcliffe who was named NZ’s Entrepreneur of the Year in 2014, in recognition of the global impact this company has all over the world. It’s the leading travel organisation in providing affordable, safe and responsible volunteer programs, and to date, has supported over 68,000 volunteers in more than 30 countries.
While this role is based in Auckland, IVHQ’s headquarters are based in New Plymouth. The successful candidate must be able to travel domestically to HQ on a regular basis.
About the role:
As a Senior Ruby on Rails Developer, you will be helping the development of a new tech stack in order to assist the evolution of the IVHQ website. Help to continue shape the IVHQ product, as they continue towards creating a strong in-house, Agile product. The IVHQ website has evolved into a high traffic destination.
The perfect candidate will have had experience in a senior development role, and a lot of experience building cloud-based platforms for a large multitude of users. The ideal candidate would have experience in native mobile development, experience developing or a strong desire to learn localisation, machine learning and marketing automation. To thrive in this role, you will a constant learner, always researching the best tool for the job, and you will be able to draw from your background of multiple languages and frameworks.
- Helping transition the IVHQ product from an external development to an in-house Agile culture.
- You will either be bringing your experience with the following, or interested in growing your knowledge in these areas: marketing automation, machine learning and localisation.
- You will be helping the development of a new tech stack which provides IVHQ will full control of their coding.
- Help develop effective cloud platforms for customers, partners and staff.
- You will be reporting to Head of Technology.
- Communicate with Key Stakeholders to ensure they are kept up to date with the process.
- Assist the team as they look to accomplish their ambitious goals to evolve the platform into other areas- this can include: Native Mobile applications, APIs, machine learning, marketing automation and hyper-local geospatial concepts.
- Extensive experience developing business platforms on Ruby and Rails.
- Extensive experience building a cloud-scale platform for tens of thousand global users.
- Desire to perform research and development in new tech areas including Machine Learning and Marketing Automation Experience with mobile and mobile-first development.
- Proven background in multiple languages and frameworks.
- Attention to detail across the entire development stack, including UI/UX, Frontend, Backend and DevOps.
- NZ visa or the ability to show a visa application in place.
IVHQ provides many benefits including flexible working hours and regular overseas travel opportunities for a motivated and self directed individual who is willing to help with the expansion of this world class organisation.
Robert Walters endeavours to review all applications in a maximum of five working days. If you have not received correspondence within this timeframe please do not hesitate to contact Yvonne Tay-Corbett on 09 374 7303.