BEFORE YOUR DEPARTURE
- Ensure you are in possession of a valid work permit or work visa before you leave
- Contact our Robert Walters International Career Manager
- Once you have registered with Robert Walters, send your CV to our International Career Manager so that they can find out more about what you are looking for and can keep you updated on local employment trends and market rates
- The relevant consultants in our New Zealand offices will make contact with you to discuss opportunities available in the local market and in some instances can organise interviews with potential employers prior to your arrival
THINGS TO REMEMBER IN ADVANCE OF YOUR ARRIVAL
- Update your CV to include an email address and contact details that will be valid when you are travelling and first arrive in New Zealand
- When updating your CV be sure to explain your overseas experience including the nature of the organisations you have worked for
- Ensure the recruiters you have partnered with know your exact arrival date as well as your availability
- Hunt out qualification certificates in case you need these during the interview process
- Inform your referees of your plans so that they are prepared and you have their most recent contact details. Verbal references are the norm here, so ensure your referees are aware of this
- If your contents are moving over separately, ensure that you have suitable attire on hand for interviews when you arrive in New Zealand
- Keep a list of where your CV has been sent and what companies or recruitment consultancies you are talking to so that any double up can be easily avoided
- Arrange for your mail to be redirected and cancel accounts that will no longer be in use
- If you are planning on opening a new bank account in New Zealand, ensure you get a reference from your current bank as this will be required
- Inform any medical practitioners (e.g. Doctors, Dentists etc.) of your move so that your files can be easily transferred as and when required
- To prepare yourself for the move, keep in touch with the market in New Zealand
LET ROBERT WALTERS WORK FOR YOU
In between leaving home and arriving at your destination, ensure that you keep in touch with our International Career Manager so that they are aware of your travel plans and expected arrival date. This is vital to ensure a speedy recruitment process and to secure you the best role.
Arrange to meet your Robert Walters consultant upon your arrival regardless of when you plan on starting work.
ARRIVING IN NEW ZEALAND
Getting to New Zealand from most countries is relatively easy as it’s served by most of the world’s major airlines. New Zealand has seven international airports (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Hamilton, Dunedin, Queenstown and Rotorua), which provide services to all major domestic and international destinations.
Robert Walters has offices in Auckland, home to over a quarter of the national population and Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand. Both cities are based on the North Island and offer a comprehensive public transport system including suburban trains, buses, taxis and ferries.
Most New Zealanders own a car in order to take full advantage of the wonderful outdoors our country offers, however it’s easy to travel around NZ via train, bus or plane. Commuting to work in the main centres can be expensive due to parking costs and less efficient than public transport due to traffic congestion.
Find more information on New Zealand transport, fares, maps and routes.
Your journey starts with Robert Walters. Get in touch with our dedicated International Career Manager Kate Williams.
Return to the homepage.