Consultant Courtney Reynolds
Date posted 16 April 201822 Fanshawe Street Auckland 1010 Robert Walters New Zealand
As Legal Counsel you will responsible for running a range of interesting files and acting as an approachable “go to” member of the organisation. This role would suit a driven lawyer who is interested in expanding their current commercial and property skill set and becoming a dynamic in-house lawyer.
Wellington City Council (WCC) serve the residents and business of the city of Wellington. They are continuously investing in the ongoing prosperity of Wellington’s communities and their well being. The overall goal is to create a smart, resilient and inclusive capital.
About the role:
As Legal Counsel at WCC you will work in a fantastic team environment. The Legal Services team is structured to have lawyers working in Regulatory, Projects and Commercial/Property areas. This role is focused on the Property/Commercial areas, although there will be an ability to work across other areas if the successful candidate has an interest in other areas.
The role will include answering legal queries beyond typical property law matters and getting involved in the wider commercial vision of the organisation. This position would suit a confident and motivated self-starter looking to build on their current understanding of property and general commercial law.
- Manage risk associate with commercial and property activities (including leasing, licensing, property encumbrances, and services and supply agreements)
- Provide high quality general legal advice in a variety of contexts
- Advising on, reviewing and preparing relevant agreements and other legal documents
- Educating internal and external stake holders on relevant legal matters and assisting with seminars to staff
- General file management responsibilities
- Under graduate degree in law (LLB) and legal professional qualifications
- Holds, or is able to obtain, a current practising certificate
- At least 3 years PQE including time spent in an in-house legal role and/or solid firm experience with a focus on property and commercial work
- Working with the law and legislation relevant to property and commercial contracts
- Ability to present legal issues, analysis, options and solutions in a practical and understandable manner
- Experience in drafting and/or interpreting agreements to a high level of quality
- Ability to work with a range of people collaboratively and in a customer centric manner
- An open mind and good sense of humour
Fantastic chance to expand your legal experience beyond property law in an organisation involved in large and exciting commercial projects. Flexible working arrangements will be considered for the right candidate.
Robert Walters endeavours to review all applications in a maximum of five working days. If you have not received correspondence within this timeframe please do not hesitate to contact Courtney Reynolds on 04 471 9740.