Salary Competitive Salary
Consultant Courtney Reynolds
Date posted 13 June 201822 Fanshawe Street Auckland 1010 Robert Walters New Zealand
As Legal Counsel you will be involved in a range of interesting legal matters providing advice to both internal and external stakeholders on key legislative decision making. This role would suit a driven lawyer who has a public administrative law background and has sharp analytical and problem-solving skills.
Overview of the company
Wellington City Council (WCC) serve the residents and business of the city of Wellington. They are continuously investing in the ongoing prosperity of Wellington’s communities and their well-being. The overall goal is to create a smart, resilient and inclusive capital.
About the role:
As Legal Counsel at WCC you will work in a fantastic team environment. The Legal Services team is structured to have lawyers working in Regulatory, Projects and Commercial/Property areas. This role is focussed on the regulatory function and involves working on incredibly interesting, high profile legal matters. You will provide advice to the varied and diverse business units in Council as well as interacting with other local authorities and key government departments.
- Providing advice to key internal and external stakeholders primarily with respect to how decisions are made under various Acts including the Building Act, Local Government Act, Resource Management Act, Food Act and Land Transport Act
- Provide high quality general legal advice in a variety of contexts
- Advising on, reviewing and preparing relevant legal documents
- Educating internal and external stake holders on relevant legal matters and assisting with seminars to staff
- General file management responsibilities
- Under graduate degree in law (LLB) and legal professional qualifications
- Holds, or is able to obtain, a current practising certificate
- At least 3 years PQE including time spent in an in-house legal role and/or solid firm experience with a focus on public administrative law
- Experience with relevant legislation, particularly the Resource Management Act and have a strong technical understanding of this practice area
- Ability to present legal issues, analysis, options and solutions in a practical and understandable manner
- Ability to work with a range of people collaboratively and in a customer centric manner
- An open mind and good sense of humour
Fantastic chance to expand your legal experience in an organisation involved in large and exciting commercial projects. Flexible working arrangements will be considered for the right candidate.
Robert Walters endeavours to review all applications in a maximum of five working days. If you have not received correspondence within this timeframe please do not hesitate to contact Courtney Reynolds on 04 471 9740.