Senior Procurement Specialist – Mātanga Hāmua Tangohanga
Location Wellington CentralFULL_TIME
Consultant Angus Napier
Date posted 10 October 2018 2018-10-102018-12-09 purchasing-and-procurement 22 Fanshawe Street Auckland 1010 Robert Walters New Zealand
An exciting opportunity to take a leading role across the development and growth of procurement capability within the Education Services
We shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent educational outcomes
The education system touches every person, whanau and community in New Zealand and is a major contributor to improving our society and economy. The Ministry plays a critical role in shaping the system to deliver equitable and excellent outcomes for all children, young people and students.
We work with others to ensure the children, young people and students of the future are competent, connected, life-long learners.
About the role:
The Procurement Team is part of the Business Enablement and Support group, who work across the Ministry of Education and with the education sector to ensure critical capabilities and infrastructure are in place so together we can make a bigger difference for more children, young people and students.
This role reports into the Procurement Manager and is responsible for creating, communicating, refining and delivery of the procurement life cycle process in relation to specified groups, and will support the business through procurement in a Ministry ‘centre-led’ manner, championing the quality and execution of the end to end procurement process. This role will ensure that the markets are pro-actively and appropriately managed and that key supplier and spend categories are delivering and maximising fiscal and education benefits.
The role will provide specialist procurement leadership, mentoring and support for Group Managers and teams, including working collaboratively to perform needs analysis, develop sourcing strategies, establish procurement plans and manage high quality procurement processes that deliver tangible value to each Group and the wider Ministry.
- Develops and maintains sourcing plans for supplier management
- Clarifies specifications for key products and services
- Investigates the technical and commercial options for fulfilling the requirements, including possible sources of supply, and agrees the preferred options and potential suppliers with the business
- Implements, maintains and disseminates procurement strategy, policy, standards, methods and processes
- Advises on policy and procedures covering the selection of suppliers, tendering and the end to end procurement life cycle
- As required specialist procurement mentoring, training and support for Group Managers and within the Ministry Procurement Services Network
- Manages the tender, evaluation and acquisition process with expert assistance as required
- As part of a wider commercial and legal team, assists with the negotiations with preferred suppliers, drafting contracts and technical schedules, and developing acceptance procedures and criteria
- Maintains a broad understanding of the commercial environment, how the organisation sources, deploys and manages external partners and when it is appropriate to use in-house resources
- Ensures suppliers are approved in accordance with the Ministry procedures
- Develops and manages contracts with suppliers to meet key performance indicators and agreed targets
- Is responsible for the management and implementation of supplier service improvement actions and programmes
- Work with the Procurement Network Services (PSN) to develop and implement guidelines and tools that reflect the needs of the Ministry
- Work with the PSN to ensure that guidelines and tools are used appropriately in the Ministry
- Significant relationship building experience including the ability to provide specialist advice, influence and consult with a broad range of stakeholders in the public and private sectors
- Customer Focused - Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect
- Innovation Management - Is good a bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgement about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace
- Customer focused, is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, apply judgement and prioritise workload
- High developed procurement experience with a preference in category type management and / or leading the delivery of procurement outcomes within a large government agency or similar complex organisation
- Well-developed commercial / contract negotiation experience including experience in managing high value and / or politically sensitive negotiations
- A strong preference for a well-developed understanding of Government procurement policies and processes and the machinery of government in relation to procurement
This is an excellent opportunity to join an organisation who are focused on making a difference in the future of New Zealand
We work together to shape an education system that delivers excellent and equitable outcomes
Ko tā mātou he waihanga i tētahi pūnaha mātauranga e tuku ai he otinga tōkeke, he otinga hiranga
Applications close Sunday 21st October 2018
Robert Walters endeavours to review all applications in a maximum of five working days. If you have not received correspondence within this timeframe please do not hesitate to contact Angus Napier on 04 471 9719.