Gas Sales and Trading Expert
Consultant Jing Li
Date posted 28 June 2022wellington sales/sales-general 2022-07-03 2022-08-27 sales Wellington Wellington NZ Robert Walters https://www.robertwalters.co.nz https://www.robertwalters.co.nz/content/dam/robert-walters/global/images/logos/web-logos/square-logo.png
OMV New Zealand is an Austrian parented company with the OMV group having Chemicals, Refining and Exploration and Production operations around the world and with group headquarters based in Vienna. In March 2022 OMV committed globally to achieving net zero emissions by 2050 and has set significant emissions reduction targets for 2030 and 2040 at the same time as materially increasing investment in renewables. OMV aims to spend EUR 5 billion by 2030 in low carbon energy businesses. OMV has been operating in New Zealand for more than 20 years and employs ca. 300 people in Taranaki and Wellington and currently supplies about 40% of New Zealand’s natural gas from its shares in the Pohokura and Maui gas fields. OMV New Zealand is mid-way through a ca. $500mln investment programme to increase gas production rates in order to support the NZ energy transition to a lower carbon future, with further investment potential already identified.
An opportunity for a Gas Sales and Trading Expert has become available in the Wellington team (although the role could potentially be based in New Plymouth depending on the candidate). Reporting into the Commercial Manager you will be responsible for day-to-day management of the short term gas sales and trading strategy, including identifying and directly implementing commercial opportunities to maximise value with a high transactional turnover and monetary value at stake. You will also be responsible for procurement of NZ carbon units to meet OMV’s emissions trading obligations to the Crown. If you are commercially savvy and are comfortable working in complex and technical environments then this opportunity might just be the one for you!
This is an exciting time to join OMV, during a time where OMV is both investing significantly in its existing gas business to sustain the energy transition over decades to come, and at the same time transforming itself through material investments into low carbon energy projects.
- Manage relationships with customers and develop relationships with key stakeholders
- Develop, manage and implement OMV’s short term gas trading strategy including negotiation of bi-lateral gas deals, brokered deals, and sales/purchases via the Spot Market (incl. after hours roster), with a high turnover of transactions.
- Managing the operation of existing long-term gas sales contracts on an on-going basis to ensure value optimization and contractual compliance across the portfolio
- Commercial interface with the operational and technical functions to understand changes in gas production rates, so that value is maximised from the commercial opportunities that arise.
- Manage the procurement of carbon credits, to meet OMV’s obligations under the Emissions Trading Scheme, through participation in auctions and secondary markets. Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to ensure ETS compliance and reporting obligations (internal and statutory) are met.
You will have:
- Excellent relationship and stakeholder engagement skills as you will be working across a broad range of customers and stakeholders
- Effective analytical skills with the ability to navigate complex, technical information and data
- Strong commercial nous and negotiation skills to understand and realise opportunities in the short and long term
- strong value-maximisation mindset and motivation to succeed.
- Industry experience would be preferable
This is a great opportunity to showcase your skills and thrive in an organisation that is people centric, with opportunities to broaden and develop commercial skills in other areas of the business over time. This role comes with an attractive salary and a generous benefits package.
Robert Walters endeavours to review all applications in a maximum of five working days. If you have not received correspondence within this timeframe please do not hesitate to contact Jing Li on 04 471 9720.