Three proven tips for employers to manage career expectations

females looking at tablet

The vast majority of younger professionals in Australia and New Zealand feel they are being overlooked for career progression because of their age – and many are quitting their jobs because of it, our latest whitepaper suggests.

Generation Gaps? Mythbusting assumptions about age in the workforce includes the findings of research undertaken in March 2017, surveying more than 900 hiring managers and more than 1,500 professionals across Australia and New Zealand.

In our survey, 84% of Gen Y professionals said they had been overlooked for career progression because of their age, and almost one in five said they had left a job because of this.

Gen Y professionals also told us that, “clear opportunities for career progression” was the second most important factor (after salary) when they chose a new employer.

To attract and retain top talent, employers should consider the following steps:

  1. Step outside your business: Research and compare how your ‘employer brand’ looks in the marketplace. During recruitment, can your organisation offer – and articulate – clear paths of career progression for potential new employees?

  2. Communicate clearly: Be open and honest with younger professionals about their prospects for career progression. Our survey suggests that there is a misunderstanding in many organisations currently, leading to disillusionment for Gen Y workers.

  3. Map your talent, then help them navigate: When it comes to recruitment and retention, programmes to identify and fast track young talent can be a powerful competitive advantage. In our survey, 86% of employers said they did not have these programmes – which means the other 14% hold a considerable advantage in the marketplace.
 

To read our survey results in full, read the whitepaper Generation Gaps? Mythbusting assumptions about age in the workforce.

To find out more about getting the best out of your younger workforce, read Attracting, retaining and developing millennial professionals.