Legal secretaries enjoy a varied and challenging career supporting the needs of a legal office.
They are often required to support a team of partners and other legal staff. This is a multidimensional role that requires patience and a good understanding of legal terminology. Find out more below:
- Report preparation
- Minute taking
- Legal documentation
- Travel booking and coordination
- Financial budgets and reconciliation
- Organising conference calls and other meetings
- Client database management
Successful legal secretaries have the following personal attributes:
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent coordination and problem solving skills
- A positive attitude
- Advanced MS Office skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
What qualifications do I need?
Legal secretaries may be degree qualified or have participated in a secretarial or administrative course. Most employers will ensure you receive ongoing training opportunities to help further your career as a legal secretary and there are a number of specialist courses available as well.
On average, salaries for legal secretaries are between circa $50 - $65k
Career prospects for legal secretaries
Proven legal secretaries have good career opportunities and can progress to become senior secretary, office manager or personal/executive assistant.
View the legal secretary roles we are currently recruiting in Auckland and Wellington.