The finance manager is responsible for the day to day running of a company's finance team.
They provide a comprehensive financial accounting service with responsibility for preparing accurate, timely financial and management accounts and reports. They are also charged with developing financial strategies to ensure that the organisation reaches its short and medium term goals.
What qualifications are required to be a FM?
To become a finance manager, you'll require a tertiary qualification in accounting. In most cases you will also be CA qualified with several years' post-qualification experience. Additionally, you will be able to demonstrate the following experience:
- Staff management experience
- Several years' post-qualification experience gained in a commercial environment
- A good mix of business and accounting abilities
- Financial systems knowledge
- Familiarity with an ERP system
- Highly computer literate with sound spread sheeting and reporting skills
Key personal attributes for a successful Finance Manager include:
- Strong interpersonal skills - you will be dealing with various areas of the business
- Process improvement focus - you will be able to identify issues and offer suggestions for improvement
- Commercially aware - you will need to be well versed in the technical aspects of all kinds of financial decisions
- Strong people management skills - you will need to be able to motivate your staff members
- Deadline-driven - you will set the monthly and year end timetable to ensure the finance division meets reporting deadlines
Magic CV Words
'Big 4', overseas experience, staff management, process improvement and streamlining.
On average, salaries for finance managers are between circa $100-120k. Download our salary survey to find out exactly what you're worth.
Finance Manager career prospects
Proven finance managers have good career opportunities and can progress to become financial controllers or commercial managers.
View the finance manager roles we are currently recruiting or get in touch with one of our expert consultants to discuss your finance career.